Happy Thanksgiving (if you’re a Canadian)! Tired of turkey? Finished with family? Nothing to do on your day off? Well, be thankful for yet another Write Reads podcast to listen to. We are thankful to have been joined by the wonderful Canadian ex-patriot Tanya from 52 Books or Bust, all the way from Scotland. We discuss teen angst in Toronto, coming of age in cottage country, graphic novels and visual literacy, and many other things. It is, as Kirt predicted, a gooder.
We’re also officially announcing that our next book will be Blind Spot by Laurence “Just Call Me Larry” Miall, and our next guest host for that podcast will be Alexis Kienlen, poet, author, journalist, and belly dancer extraordinaire. Podcast #22 will be available on November 3. Get reading!
Other books discussed in this podcast:
- War Horse and The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips by Michael Morpurgo
- The Sparrow and Children of God by Mary Doria Russell
- This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
- A Sudden Light by Garth Stein
- The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir Who Got Trapped in an Ikea Wardrobe by Romain Puertolas
- The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion
- The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
- The Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher
- Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
- The Love Monster by Missy Marston
- Fiction Squad by Paul Jenkins
- Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer
- Essex County and The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire
- Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
(psst – the audio keeps cutting out on me. Might be my computer, but I think it happened on another computer too. Every 10 mins or so, and I have to refresh the page.)
I just put both titles on hold at the library. The newer one will not come in for a while – 10 holds on 5 copies!
Ooo I’m so excited you’re doing Blind Spot next! And having Alexis on the show. Cannot wait.
Nice to put a voice to a blog, Tanya 🙂
Thanks for letting us know, Laura. I just listened to it and it played fine. Hopefully others will let us know if they’re having the same problem. – Kirt
I just finished Skim. I loved it! I think I “get” graphic novels now! Though I’m bound to love anything about 90s goth teens…
I also have the same issue as Laura – it cuts out every 10ish minutes and I need to refresh.
Kirt – I’m with you on being read to. Ever since I was able to read by myself I have done so. I don’t like being read to because I can just do it myself and do it faster. I hope you still like The Storied Life of AJ Fikry when you finish it and don’t end up finding it too cutesy! I loved it.
Tanya (of Write Reads) – I can’t believe you don’t like crime fiction!!!! Skippy Dies was already on my list but now I really want to find it and read it. With you all on the boarding school books.
Tanya (of 52 Books) – great to hear your voice!
I have no idea what could be causing this audio issue. Does anybody have any ideas? – Kirt
Pingback: 2 Years Old | 52 books or bust